What is Pour Over Coffee Kettle?
When making pour over coffee, people would need a kettle to gradually pour hot water on top of the coffee powder to complete the brewing process. Traditional kettles would have many disadvantages in terms of making brewing coffee:
- The water inside the kettle would cool down very fast if not brew the coffee in time, thus creates either under extraction or over extraction of coffee.
- The water flows too fast, flushing a hole inside the coffee dripper, and the brewing is not consistent or even.
- The kettle heats up the water very slow, you may not be able to brew several hot brew coffee in a short time.
To resolve the above issues, a kettle has been designed specifically for pour over coffee purposes.
Why People Use Gooseneck Kettles for Pour Over Coffee?
The wording "Gooseneck" refers to the pouring spout of the kettle is shaped like a Goose's neck, it is a long and thin pouring spout that fits right at the bottom of the kettle.
The reason that Gooseneck kettle is great for coffee pour overs is because:
- Controlled Water Flow Speed. The gooseneck could effectively slow down the water flow speed. If the pouring angle is too sharp, it would usually creates faster water flow on traditional kettles, which will push coffee grounds aside and cause uneven brewing.
- Controlled Pouring Position. Thanks to the unique shape, baristas could control the pouring position easier with the Gooseneck Spout. The sharp and bended spout could focus on the position without efforts.
- Outstanding Shape. Gooseneck kettles are unique and outstanding with the shape and performance. It improves the feeling of pour over coffee and gives you better confidence of a balanced, full bodied cup of coffee.
Benefits of Gooseneck Kettle
There are so many benefits of using a gooseneck kettle over traditional pouring kettles.
- Temperature Gauge. Most modern gooseneck coffee kettles are equipped with temperature gauge, either electronic or traditional ones, allowing you to constantly monitoring the temperature of water. The best brewing temperature is 95ºC, a great built-in temperature gauge just saves up a lot of time.
- Super Boiling Technique. Some kettles like Fellow EKG Gooseneck Electric Kettle is built with super boiling technology, allowing you to heat up the water in just 1 mins, which makes pouring coffee become more efficient.
- Stainless Steel Build. Thanks to the stainless steel material, the gooseneck kettles are strong, robust, and can be washed easily. The stainless steel kettles are also compatible with induction stoves.
- Precision Pouring. The gooseneck kettle allows for easier pouring control and allow you to focus the pouring position into the middle of the coffee grounds with no efforts.
Popular Choices of Pour Over Kettles
As pour over kettles become popular in the market, there are so many brands emerging, who have developed many pour over kettles to choose from. Some popular brands are like Fellow, Hario, Brewista, etc.
Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Gooseneck Kettle
The Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Gooseneck Kettle is among one of the most popular pour over kettles around the world, and it has so many great features:
- Precision Pouring Control. The pouring spout of the Fellow Stagg EKG Kettle is precisely measured for better pouring performances. You could grab and hold the kettle for a long time pour over experience.
- One-Hour Hold. The one-hour hold temperature function is just designed for professional baristas to make hot brewing coffee. Since the best temperature to brew a great balanced, full bodied cup of coffee is between 93 - 96ºC, the holding temperature eliminates the need to re-heat up the water again and again, especially during winter seasons.
- Built-in Timer. Instead of using a separate timer to calculate how much time interval between each pour over, the built-in stopwatch makes pouring under better control.
- Comfortable & Replaceable Handle. The kettle handle is built ergonomically, which is easy for baristas to grab and hold. You may also replace the handle using the Wooden Handle Kit to other materials to improve the accent and match better with other appliances in your kitchen.
Brewista Artisan Gooseneck Variable Kettle
The Brewista Artisan Gooseneck Variable Kettle is also among one of the most popular pouring kettles in the market. It has many amazing features that would assist your pouring experience and further improve coffee brewing consistency.
- Super Boiling. The instant super boiling features allows you to heat up the water in just a minute or so, quickly preparing the water for your pouring needs.
- Digital Thermometer. The built-in digital LCD thermometer allows you to set a target temperature for the kettle to heat up, and stay warm for a few hours. The wide temperature range of 60 - 99ºC is enough for many brewing situations.
- Different Colors. The Brewista Artisan Gooseneck Variable Kettle offers 4 different colors to choose from, either white, black, matte white, matte black. It matches great with all the other appliances in your kitchen.
- Gooseneck Spout. The precision gooseneck spout is great for controlling the pouring position and water flow speed, making coffee pour overs more consistent.
- 1L Capacity. The large 1L Capacity is enough to brew up to 10 cups of coffee in one go without refills.
Hario Buono Variable Temperature Kettle
For Hario fans, you can't miss this Hario Buono Variable Temperature Kettle, which is the latest model among the Buono Kettle ranges.
- Keep Warm. The Hario Buono Variable Temperature Kettle allows to keep the water hot for hours, which is great if you are making multiple coffee at same time.
- 800ml Capacity. The capacity of the kettle is a bit smaller than the others, however the smaller capacity also means lighter in weight. The Buono kettle is easy to hold even when it's full.
- Stainless Steel Build. The stainless steel material means durable and long lasting. The Hario Buono Kettle is strong, robust and can withstand heavy duty use.
- Two Heating Modes. You may switch the different heating modes according to your needs. The kettle could heat up the water between 60 - 96ºC, ensuring your coffee is not over extracted during brewing.
Fellow Corvo EKG Electric Kettle
Fellow Corvo EKG Electric Kettle is a bit different from all the other competitors. The major different is with the pouring spout, and it has the traditional pouring spout compared to other gooseneck spout. However, Fellow has designed the kettle carefully with many features to suit your needs.
- Temperature Dial. Like the other Fellow EKG Kettle family, you may dial the button on the control panel to change the target temperature easily.
- 900ml Capacity. The 900ml Capacity is right at the middle of all other kettles, balancing both the usability and weight.
- Ergonomic Handle. The kettle grip is carefully designed to make it easier to grab and hold. You could also replace the handle with other materials like wood to improve the accent and looking of the kettle.
- Traditional Sharp Spout. The Corvo EKG Electric Kettle has a traditional spout, allowing you to pour water at a much faster speed than the gooseneck kettle. However, it doesn't mean that the kettle is not capable of doing pour over coffee. We have seen many people use the kettle for both daily use and brewing coffee at the same time.
- Built-in Timer. Thanks to the integrated timer, you don't need a separate timer to calculate how much time consumed for the first batch brewing, and how much time need for the second round. The intelligent timer would help you to resolve all timing issues while keeping the water hot at all times.
Hario V60 Drip Kettle Fit
Just looking for a traditional stove top kettle and tired of electric devices? Consider the Hario V60 Drip Kettle Fit. Bearing 3 colors and materials to choose from, this kettle gives you everything that's needed for a good cup of coffee, without costing too much.
- All Stoves Compatible. This kettle is compatible with all kinds of stoves, including induction, giving you the freedom to choose whatever stoves you like. You may also carry the kettle while travelling.
- Counter Balance. The weight of the Hario V60 Drip Kettle Fit is balanced for grabbing and holding. You could easily pour drinks even the kettle is full.
- Modern Design. The kettle has a professional, clean appearance with a smooth, basic finish that would look fantastic in any kitchen or café.
- 800ml Capacity. Among all the other competitors, the 800ml Capacity is not large, however it is a great size for most situations. It also balances the weight, capacity, and usability.
What Coffee Could You Make with Gooseneck Kettles?
You may use your gooseneck kettle to brew different types of coffee, to name a few, the traditional coffee brewing, brewing by kone, or woorneck coffee.
Traditional Coffee Brewing
- Add coffee grounds and water inside your dripper with 1:14 to 1:18 ratio. For best results, we recommend about 40g of coffee grounds and 600ml water for sharing with your family and friends.
- To purify the coffee extraction, consider using the filtered or bottled water which eliminates unwanted particles.
- The temperature range should be between 92ºC - 96ºC for best extraction result.
- Rinse the filter with hot water as a preheating step before starting the brewing process.
- Pour around 10% of the total water capacity into your gooseneck kettle and tie it for about 30 to 45 seconds.
- A gooseneck kettle may be used to pour in a circular motion, then begin pouring into the cone's centre.
- The ideal brewing time is between 3:00 and 3:30 seconds, so you may enjoy a cup of coffee that's full of flavour.
Brew with Woodneck Coffee
- In the centre of the field, dig a tiny divot with your shovel.
- Amounts as little as 10% of the total water volume should be used for this purpose.
- Take your time and pour in little circles until the desired amount of coffee has been made.
- Enjoy a well-balanced beverage that was meticulously crafted.
Differences Between Electric and Stovetop Coffee Kettles
When come to the decision to choose between Electric Kettle and stovetop kettle, there are many things to consider.
- Temperature Control. Being able to set and control the temperature is one of the most important feature for electric kettles. You may set a target between 60 - 99ºC for most electric kettles out there in the market. Stovetop kettles, however, usually cannot set temperatures, and you will need a separate thermometer to monitor the temperature constantly.
- Portability. Not everywhere has power points. This is especially true when you are out in the wild, jungles or doing camping. A traditional kettle would have such a benefit of using gas or even bush fires to heat up the stove.
- Heating Efficiency. Electric kettles are faster in heating up the water, and the power usually can go up to 2400w, allowing you to heat up the water in just a few minutes.
- Cost. Traditional kettles are usually much cheaper, usually under $100, whereas the electric kettles are much more expensive due to the complex eletric circuit designs.
What is the Best Pour Over Coffee Kettle?
When considering the best pour over coffee kettle that is available in the market, you may need to consider the following aspects:
- Thermo Control. When brewing coffee, being able to control the temperature means that your coffee wouldn't be burnt or under extracted, which may cause bitterness or sourness. Temperature control is an important factor to brew a gold cup of coffee.
- Pouring Spout. Is kettle's spout gooseneck or traditional? As mentioned above, the gooseneck spout is great for controlling pouring speed and water flow, however is usually a bit slower for daily use. A traditional spout on the other hand, is better for day to day usage.
- Temperature Hold. You don't want your water being cold before brewing process starts, thus temperature hold function is especially useful for making great coffee.
- Super Heating. The fast heating allows for your water to heat up in just a minute, saving up the time and make coffee brewing more efficient.
- Kettle Capacity. Choosing the right sized kettle is important. If the kettle is too small, you might need to refill the kettle again and again for large volumn. If the kettle is too large, it might become too heavy to pour. An ideal kettle capacity range is between 800ml - 1200ml.
- Kettle Handle. Kettle handle needs to be designed comfortably to allow long time use. A great handle is usually made of high quality plastic, wood, which is both easy to carry and great in looking.
- Parts Availability. Your kettle needs to last for years, however there are times when some parts of the kettle needs to be replaced. Being able to purchase the parts and get them replaced is an important factor in choosing the right kettle.
- Body Build. Most kettles nowadays are built with high quality stainless steel, however there are still ones built with aluminium. Aluminium kettles are not great for heating water, as scientific study suggests. We recommend to choose stainless steel kettles whenever possible.
- Stove Compatibility. For stovetop kettles, it's important to know what kind of stoves that the kettle is compatible with. Some are not compatible with induction, some are not compatible with gas. Need to choose the kettle wisely.
- Built-in Timer. To make pouring experience better, some kettles are equipped with built-in timer, helping you to measure the time between each pour over. It's more convenient to have an additional function without surcharges.
- Price. You don't want to spend a million on a kettle, the pricing point should also be considered.
The Bottom Line
With all the above said, we believe you already have an idea of what is the best kettle to choose. Hopefully our ultimate guide to best pour over kettles would help you to make the decision. We offer a wide range of Coffee Kettles for you to choose from, don't miss them out.